I was able to work on the Mystery Quilt a little bit over the past weekend, but that consisted of getting the cutting done for the rest of the clues. I thought that I had cut everything requested in the initial directions, but maybe she ended up adding more. I need to make a bunch more (40) of those rectangular “brick” blocks and they take a while.
Our Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl!!!!! YAAAAYYYYY
My impressions of the game…
1. Dame Helen Mirren used the word “Pillock” in a Super Bowl Commercial. Well played, madam. Well played.
2. Peyton is really uncomfortable with paid sponsor plugs *cough BUDWEISER cough*. Next year, get someone else to be your shill.
3. Speaking of Budweiser, WHERE WERE MY CLYDESDALES??? I was bereft of heartwarming equine entertainment. I shall counter by giving you my favorite Budweiser commercial of all times:
4. I can’t think of any possible reason to have sound speakers in the bed of a pickup truck. Just something else to break and get encrusted with sheep poop. And to annoy all the people who live on roads along the route that you drive.
5. I don’t know what Liam Neeson was selling (some sort of TV, I think), but he needs to come visit me and talk in that wonderful gravely Aslan-esque voice for an extended period of time. *dreamy sigh*
6. I made some Super Soup. That I ate in a bowl. (see what I did there?)
It was loosely based on this:
I cooked it in my dutch oven (not crock pot) and used cheese ravioli instead of tortellini. I also added a finely diced onion, zucchini and some shredded carrots (sauteed in olive oil before adding other ingredients). It was spectacular and made enough to feed a couple of armies.
7. I had a Super Breakfast of whole wheat scones. Here is the link. Use half the sugar it calls for and either make 1/2 a batch or cut twice as many. Good use of raisins and whole wheat flour. Would be spectacular with home made jam of any variety.
So, There you go. Absolutely NOTHING of note happened this past weekend…
Oh, and I read a couple of books and worked on my Mystery quilt. Clue five is mostly done but I haven’t photographed it yet. Clue six was released before the Super Bowl and I think there is only one more clue after that. Good thing, because I’m close to running out of design wall…
Progress update on the Cobblestones and Bricks Mystery quilt project:
This picture was taken at the completion of Clue 3. The long rectangles we pieced are the “Bricks,” while the larger sized squares are the “cobblestones” and the smaller squares are the “gravel.” You can really see the difference between Cobblestones and Gravel by looking at the dark blue squares.
Clue 4 involved making a bunch of 9 patches (with the dark blue in the center), and has been completed but not photographed (because it is just a pile of squares…). Clue 5 is more 9 patches and some 4 patches made out of the cobblestones.
Clue 5, released this past Monday, involved more 9 patches and some 4 patches of the larger sized blocks. I was feeling a bit behind and grumpy about it. During the big east coast snow storms, extra clues were released so that the bored people had something to do. Well, I guess the Quilting Fates have a sense of humor because we had an honest to goodness SNOW DAY yesterday. I got to stay home in my jammies and I sewed most of the day.
So, where does it stand now? I’m working on arranging the 4 and 9 patches so that there aren’t any of them sewn together that have the same fabrics touching. Yes, I know that I’m probably taking too much time to make these decisions, but still, it is what I have to do to be happy with my final product. So far, I have two of the four sides put up on the design wall, so just two more to select.
Then to sew them together and I will be ready for next Monday’s clue.