So, the new project.
My previous quilt was straight lines and bright colors, so I decided to try circles and more muted/brownish colors for this one.
I had originally intended to do inset/seamed circles, with pattern pieces made with freezer paper, similar to how I put the previous one together. But, before I committed to a whole project this way, I decided to test it out first.
Here is my circle pattern piece with seam allowance (blue) and the background into which I was planning to insert it.
I carefully cut the circle out of the inset, clipped the seam allowances and then stitched it up. The result?
Ummmmm… Not so circular…
From a technique standpoint, this was very difficult with a disappointing result. I did like the way that the circle kind of floated above the background fabric, but it just didn’t look very nice.
So, the next one I tried ironing the seam allowance to the wrong side of the blue circle. Once that was creased, I used some fusible to stick it down on the background and hand stitched the edges down.
The result? No picture (sorry), but it was better than the first attempt. It still had uneven points and flat spots around the supposedly circular edge.
My last trial was to cut a freezer paper circle and iron it to the wrong side of the fabric. Then I cut a generous (more than a quarter inch, but less than a half inch) seam allowance and ran a double line of basting stitches around the edge. These served as gathering threads and I was able to carefully pull the seam allowance to the back side in an even fashion and then steam/press it into submission. This proved to be the most successful technique and was the one that I chose to carry forward with.
Here is a photo of some of the pieces with their drawstrings…
Here is how it looks after the strings have been drawn and the seam allowance severely pressed to the back (before the freezer paper was removed).
Here is the final piece, ready to be appliqued onto the background:
Pay no attention to the notches/irregular parts of the circle – this quilt is designed to have circles floating on top of other circles, and those sections are where “higher up” circles will be installed.
Now I am using my beloved Perle cotton to hand embroider along the seam lines and around the edges of the circles. This is taking a long time, but is a very relaxing and enjoyable process.
So, that is where we stand for now. Further updates as events happen. Hopefully, the big “reveal” will happen sometime soon.